Monday, September 05, 2005
It's just one of those times. When the situation takes a sudden turn for the better. And you just don't know how to react. It's been nearly 2 hours since I got home, and part of me instinctively demands a return trip back to camp. It used to be an alien feeling, that is all so getting natural as the days pass by. Having fought for an off for a few weeks, I find myself being forced to take one.
Just a few hours earlier, I was looking forward to a torrid 3 days outfield. And now, I get chocolate instead of field rations. Staring into a computer screen listening to some crap Hokkien rock.. the crickets chirp, 10 stories below.
Though it was torture going through the day, the night action was terrific.
After rescuing a M113, the recovery was running along in the dark when we were suddenly surrounded by the combat M113s, all with live rounds ready. And the comms conversation was hilarious:
Officer 1: Hey wtf! How come movement stop?
Officer 2: Dunno leh. Like no space.
Officer 1: How come no space? Formation?
Officer 2: No space leh, sir. Cannot move.
Staff(intercomms): Can't see fuck. Joseph, on headlight.
*headlights on"
Officers: WHO THE FUCK ON HEADLIGHT??
Staff(intercomms): Off it! Faster!
*headlights off*
Officer 3: All vehicles report!
Sergeant: Er, sir arh.
Officer 1: Ya what?
Sergeant: Not in position. Something wrong.
Staff(intercomms): Knn. Can't see. Joseph on headlight.
*headlights on*
Officer 1: WHO THE FUCK ON AGAIN! CB!! *sequence of vulgarities too explicit to say*
Officer 2: OFF THE FUCKING HEADLIGHT!
Staff(intercomms): Off! Siao liao... *headlights off in a jiffy*
Sergeant: Er. Sir arh. I think got something in front of us..
*someone gingerly shines a torch*
Recovery: Uh oh..
Before that, we kinda linked our comms to the ones in the exercise. So when Staff directed Joseph, it screwed the communications part. They went left and right according to him and the OC. You should have seen the mess. Instead of the M113 formation so proudly boasted by SAF, we got one mass orgy, and alot of vulgarities thrown in. Should've got in on tape.
Having taken a jibe at Staff's rather bad night out, you've got to feel sorry for him. Sure, I'm terrified of him, and I simply loathe the harsh and caustic remarks that spew out of his mouth. And if you try and ignore his super-short fuse, and rather hypocritcal nature, it's not that bad really. But basically Staff's a decent fellow who does protect his men. Plus, there's this extra pressure for Archer to do well, since the company flunked the last LRI. And if that's not enough, the whole platoon is going through a transition period. Sgt Zi Jian had his 2nd last day today, and Ah Heng's going to BV, leaving me as the most senior NSF. Which I can really assure you, is not a good thing, remotely, whichever way you look at it. The new guys coming in, while I haven't got a foothold on my own position yet.
Lastly, and most importantly, he's fighting for the renewal of his contract.
I will work harder. And try and be more considerate towards the plight of others. It's an outright lie, but sure feels good attempting to say it.
~
I got off the cab just now at the marketplace. And lingered around for a long time.
People passed me, some glancing sideways; others rushing about their own business. Not me. The sight of long hair. A pink bag. The expansive sea of faces, each less familiar than the last.
One moment I thought I saw what I was looking for. And when she turned around, why was I not surprised to see, yet another stranger. Long, shiny threads down her back, the slim figure, without the same face I yearn to see. She looks abashed, as I continuing unashamedly staring at her, with an open air of defiance.
You're not her, so it's your fault you look like her!
Buses come one by one; people come and go. A lonely figure in white, slinging a bag over his shoulder, looks on.Only when the sky grew dark, that my hopes began to dwindle. Fading, like the setting sun. My shoulder starts to ache, as my bag grows heavier.
Only then, berating myself for the time wasted, I turn and walk away.
_'Jx]- faded at 8:44 PM