Saturday, December 31, 2005
Seems like only a few days ago, I was just looking for the right words to describe the end of year 2004. Trying to imagine what life would be in NS.. away from the comforts of home, or even school.
Ended up writing more than a few choice words.
Year 2005.
Army's really an interesting experience. Despite the constant painful reminder that we are severely underpaid and ill-treated (subjective), the point must reluctantly, painfully, be conceded; we'll never grow up, mentally matured, if we didn't go through national service. This is coming from someone who loathes camp and regimentation, so it should be true.
Where to begin..
BMT = nightmare. Lol.. Meng totally ruined the "army experience" for me. However, if the truth be told, I wasn't that close to my BMT section anyway. Right now, previously stated, only Bong, Teck and Josh still keep in contact. The rest of my platoon (Tham, Xh, Bobo, Don, Ian), I see from time to time. Recently saw Sebastian and Tommy in camp, and we didn't exactly erupt into fits of joy. All they said about BMT mates being your life-long friends, peeps who went through thick and thin with you, your chums in the face of peril blah blah blah.. just simply the stuff of propaganda. It's been nine months.. and I think it was a facade all along.Okay, I haven't admit this to anyone. But I have mixed feelings about being a technician.. sure, it's relatively more work-conducive environment; at least you can show a black face when something unsatisfactory crops up. Not that you can do anything about it, but trust me; being able to create your own facial expressions, and having to smile in disbelief, there's a world of difference. It may be the deciding factor on suicide or life.. BUT, anyway.. I'm really disappointed in my posting. I thought I'll at least be a SISPEC dog for the rest of my NS life, end up being a Sgt. But life's like that.. I got the best of both worlds and I'm far from satisfied. Think about it: I've got my 3 stripes, and I don't need to do SOC. There's only one place in SAF that has that, and I ended up in it. Combat life.. when one's in it, it's a nightmare. There are fools like me longing for it though.I think I more than adequately described my 40 SAR life. Missed OETI dearly, not just for the stay-out, but it's relaxed lifestyle.A lvls was a major nightmare. I thought I was done for. But yet again, like NJ did 2 years ago, NTU extended a hand. It wasn't the hand I wanted. Like it wasn't her hand which I wanted, it was hers. But for once I'm appreciative. Going to make NUS regret it again.. like HC did.Hmm.. did I miss out anything?Nothing of significance I think.I've been living my life as a farce, when I could have enjoyed it.Some things ah.. can then can. Cannot then forget it. That's my slogan for 2006. Enjoy.
_'Jx]- faded at 3:35 PM