June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
August 2008
November 2008
December 2008
February 2009
April 2009
May 2009
August 2009
September 2009
November 2009
March 2010
April 2010
July 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
October 2011
November 2011
January 2012
February 2012
April 2012
June 2012
A Poetic Conversation
By JX Ho
This is a strange poem
about a conversation
I had with a Friend
One day,
I had an urge to utter some blasphemy:
my name is Legion, for we are many.
Demons, not in the mythical sense
But existing nonetheless; within me.
Schizophrenic I am not; or maybe I am.
Maybe, we all are, to a certain extent?
I really think I am going crazy.
This dilemma, welling inside of me.
You’re not, My Partner says with a smirk.
I am here to clear your mind.
Faustus you are surely not; neither am I the Angel nor Devil.
(I like to think of myself as a separate, unique entity, he smiles.)
So there’s no need to worry about losing the soul,
(Only perhaps a part of your mind.)
Forget the rhymes of the old, he continued
the form, structure, iambic pentameter,
(I don’t even want to start off on the same line and page)
stress un-stress stress un-stress stress un-stress stress un-stress stress un-stress stress un-stress stress
till you’re really stressed.
Verse should be free – (look at me!)
Free as the wind. Free
~to fly~
away, He insisted. Like this.
(He admitted later that it was kind of forced. Much like this.)
But there must be a good reason, I say,
To forsake all that has been fixed thus far.
Most Poets in history walked this way,
Focusing on the lyrical…
(At this he scoffed aloud, interrupting my train of thought.)
It’s just this ongoing titanic battle, I raged on nonetheless,
Between the conscious mind, and the sub-conscious soul.
To write something that sounds really really sound.
Something abiding the stream-of-consciousness theory,
the way I’m using the fixed term so freely now.
Of course it’s supposed to come all naturally to me,
everything unthinkingly making senseless sense,
as long as it makes sense, in some perverse way.
Even if it exceeds by three lines in a standard sesta rima,
and now four as the rhyme scheme is rendered non-existent,
and finally five as I discover the lack of syllabic control.
That is, my Friend interrupted somewhat unnecessarily rudely,
poppycock.
Narrow-mindedness gets you nowhere,
only resentment that blinds your mind.
What’s wrong with writing what you feel,
(and no more,) at the exact point of time?
My rhyme in mind and time wasn’t intentional,
It just came, unlike yours which was thought,
It just came because it was supposed to come.
That, he rasped, is lyrical, good, poetry.
And screw the lines and syllabus.
And especially, all that fixation with HiStory,
since nothing matters except your own.
Not so, unconvinced, I thus insisted.
That was a stroke of good luck unforeseen.
True it may be that truth comes untainted,
unconcerned with other thoughts that mean
Is it then by coincidence as seemed,
that hi and bye have the same end rhyme scheme?
Don’t you see the point,
my Friend said patiently yet impatiently,
That I’ve been trying to knock into your damn head.
Swift said to Gulliver (like I said to you)
Why construct something (like a building)
If it is just going to be first set on fire
then doomed to stink (in pee) eternally?
Tell that to the Queen! Gulliver wailed.
As you will tell me soon enough.
Is doing something that will end up in stink,
worth saving at all?
What does the Queen think anyway?
Soon each verse will seem like a rigid rock,
for you aren’t Wordsworth, for crying out loud!
And you not T.S Eliot, I retorted,
feeling very pleased with my smart comeback.
Although still slightly disorientated.
I could now see in his fortress a crack,
Similar to mine, a contradiction.
That threatened his entire argument.
You see, I said when he remained silent,
(A rare sight, though sadly not that often)
If one writes to avoid structure and form,
is not that the same as adhering,
to a structure, which you mock as the norm.
It is hypocrisy in the making.
For no one knows whether you tell the truth,
Or just a fake who really is uncouth.
Now now, my Opposite interjects,
there’s no need to be hasty nor snide.
For all we know, it’s just two sides of a coin.
We choose what pleases us most
It does not actually have to make sense,
Much like Archimedes’ Paradox,
Content and form are equally important,
yet not so at the same time,
thus which displaces the other
is like the chicken and egg question
which comes first?
(I think the chicken, but I can’t be sure.)
A poem should not mean, but be.
To be: what the hell does that mean?
To be strong, subtle, strange or stingy?
Words that aren’t contrived
are supposed to have meaning then?
If something does not have a purpose,
in this world at least,
does it really exist? Can we really see it?
Or more importantly, why should we care.
If a tree falls in Brazil, do you care?
It doesn’t exist. Not to me at least.
Emerson said that all men live by truth,
and all too stand in need of expression.
What kind of truth, and what kind of expression?
Unconditional adulation?
Maybe
the perfect poet seeks the perfect audience.
Maybe you were right in some, and I in others.
Maybe the right balance is what we all seek,
Maybe, I smile as he smiles, we aren’t that different in thought.
Maybe… the perfect audience has been me. All along.
Or maybe, the answer is that… there is no answer at all.
And with my bare fist I smash the mirror.
and that's the poem i am going to submit for tomorrow's poetry assignment.
it's all coming to life again, all the old things in my life. and once they sprout, they die. does anyone feel like dying everyday? i find it harder to wake each day. just wondering if it's just me.
anyhoo now. i am in the weiqi national team now and hating every moment of it. hate is probably too strong a word; i do admittedly enjoy certain moments of respite. but i guess things just never change. things never really change; you just think they change, and maybe they do, just a little, but the main bulk of it remains in existence. sometimes you just know. doesn't help that i feel i've reached this stage of stagnation.
i need to go ask ching about my poem now, but i'm too lazy.
i need to ask jen crawford whether i can extend my word count, but she's not replying. shall need to drag my ass off the couch.
speaking of something that seems to be looking up. man utd has life without ronaldo. that man giggs, i've been watching him for the past twelve years, and he doesn't seem to lose his genius. ah well, geniuses will be geniuses. that's what we call the elite.
love life love life love life love life love life. what do i know? what happened to the angel la. what will happen to me la.
![]() |
![]() |
|
![]() |
||
![]() |
||
![]() |
||